Orchestral Conducting Workshops
Course Director: Robert Houlihan
The 2019 Orchestral Conducting Workshops will be held from 8 – 12 July 2019 in the Irish Chamber Orchestra Studio, University of Limerick.
Applications for the 2019 annual Conducting Workshops are open here.
Please note: Places for participants are now almost full however, there are still a number of places remaining for observers.
The course is suitable for beginner to intermediate level conductors working on a mixture of standard repertoire along with a number of youth orchestra arrangements. Places are available for both participants and observers. Observers will take part in conducting, baton technique and score preparation along with full participants.
The workshop will run in the Irish Chamber Music Studio, University of Limerick from 8 – 12 July. Participants will avail of tuition in baton technique and score preparation.
The course is for mixed ability / experience and is suitable for beginners.
- The course is open to conductors of youth orchestras, amateur orchestras, bands, music teachers and music students. Priority for participating places will be given to conductors actively engaged with youth orchestras.
- Meals and accommodation are not provided. We can help with accommodation in University of Limerick – more information to follow. Self-catering accommodation (no meals included) will be approximately €32 per night.
- It is not required for participants to prepare all the repertoire for the course. Participants may choose a selection that is in keeping with their experience and standard.
- However, participants and observers should have copies of scores of all the repertoire studied on the course. Details of editions and bound copies will be available from the IAYO office. Most editions will be chosen from those available at imslp.org and costs will be minimal. Information on scores is available on the repertoire page.
- The course fee is €300 for participants and €150 for observers, payable on acceptance.
- Places are awarded to suitable applicants based on a first-come, first-serve policy. Applications for the 2019 course will open shortly.
- This course is supported by the Irish Chamber Orchestra.
- Apply online here.