Orchestral Conducting Workshops
Course Director: Robert Houlihan
The annual Conducting Workshops of the Irish Association of Youth Orchestras will take place from Monday 2nd – Friday 6th July 2018 at the Royal Irish Academy of Music in Dublin.
The course is suitable for beginner to intermediate level conductors working on a mixture of standard repertoire along with a number of youth orchestra arrangements. Places are available for both participants and observers. Observers will take part in baton technique and score preparation along with full participants.
The workshop will run along side the Royal Irish Academy of Music Summer Sinfonia conducted by Ciarán Crilly. Participants will avail of tuition in baton technique and score preparation along with opportunities to observe sectional and full rehearsals with the RIAM summer orchestra academy.
The course is for mixed ability / experience and is suitable for beginners.
- The course is open to conductors of youth orchestras, amateur orchestras, bands, music teachers and music students. Priority for participating places will be given to conductors actively engaged with youth orchestras.
- Meals and accommodation are not provided. Please check our page on Dublin for some advice on accommodation.
- A number of scholarships will be available for conductors of IAYO member orchestras where those conductors need to pay for accommodation in Dublin.
- It is not required for participants to prepare all the repertoire for the course. Participants may choose a selection that is in keeping with their experience and standard.
- However, participants and observers should have copies of scores of all the repertoire studied on the course. Details of editions and bound copies will be available from the IAYO office. Most editions will be chosen from those available at imslp.org and costs will be minimal. Information on scores is available on the repertoire page.
- The course fee is €300 for participants and €150 for observers, payable on acceptance.
- Places are awarded to suitable applicants based on a first-come, first serve policy. Apply here.