Orchestral Conducting Workshops
Course Director: Robert Houlihan
It’s not unexpected but, in order to keep everyone safe, we have decided not to go ahead with the 2020 Orchestral Conducting Workshops in their usual style this year.
For those who originally applied to take part, the course is now taking place online and we are delighted to welcome conductors from across Ireland and abroad.
We hope to be back again in 2021 in person!
The course is suitable for beginner to intermediate level conductors working on a mixture of standard repertoire along with a number of youth orchestra arrangements. Places are available for both participants and observers. Observers will take part in conducting, baton technique and score preparation along with full participants.
The workshop will run in the Irish Chamber Music Studio, University of Limerick, Ireland from 6 – 10 July. Participants will avail of tuition in baton technique and score preparation.
The course is for mixed ability / experience and is suitable for beginners.
- The course is open to conductors of youth orchestras, amateur orchestras, bands, music teachers and music students from Ireland and internationally.
- Places are awarded to suitable applicants based on a first-come, first-serve policy.
- Meals and accommodation are not provided as part of the fee. Ensuite accommodation in shared, self-catering, apartments is available at University of Limerick. Rooms can be booked through IAYO and the cost is €33 per night.
- It is not required for participants to prepare all the repertoire for the course. Participants may choose a selection that is in keeping with their experience and standard.
- However, participants and observers should have copies of scores of all the repertoire studied on the course. Details of editions and bound copies will be available from the IAYO office. Most editions will be chosen from those available at imslp.org and costs will be minimal. Information on scores is available on the repertoire page.
- The course fee is €300 for participants and €150 for observers, payable on acceptance.
- This course is supported by the Irish Chamber Orchestra.
- Apply online here.