IAYO Orchestral Conducting Workshops
Course Director: Robert Houlihan
05 – 09 July 2021
The Irish Association of Youth Orchestras annual Conducting Workshops will take place online again in 2021. This year, we intend to use the Jamkazam software for real-time conducting of piano over the internet. Details on what is required are below.
The course is suitable for beginner to intermediate level conductors working on a mixture of standard repertoire. Places are available for both participants and observers. Active participants will conduct the piano player live over the internet and participate in baton technique and score-preparation workshops. Observers will take part in baton technique and score preparation along with full participants.
Closing Date for Applications: Friday, 11 June 2021
- The 2021 course takes place online using Zoom and Jamkazam.
- The course is open to conductors of youth orchestras, amateur orchestras, bands, music teachers and music students from Ireland and internationally.
- In 2021, we will limit participant places to 12 and will give preference to Irish youth orchestra conductors and Irish music students. Remaining places will be awarded to suitable applicants based on a first-come, first-serve policy.
- Participants and observers will need to connect using a Windows or Apple computer.
- Participants and observers will receive technical assistance in connecting to Jamkazam.
- Phones and tablets will not work with the Jamkazam software.
- Active participants will need a wired headset for connection to their computer.
- Active participants will need a Jamkazam account (c.€10).
- While participants in Ireland (and the UK) should be able to conduct in real time, those further afield may experience lag.
- It is not required for participants to prepare all the repertoire for the course. Participants may choose a selection that is in keeping with their experience and standard.
- However, participants and observers should have copies of scores of all the repertoire studied on the course. We hope to be able to provide bound copies as usual but Covid-19 restrictions may mean we can not. Most editions have been chosen from those available at imslp.org and costs will be minimal. Information on scores is available on the repertoire page.
- The course fee is €150 for active participants and €75 for observers, payable on acceptance.
- The closing date for applications is Friday, 11 June 2021.
- Apply online here.