IAYO Orchestral Conducting Workshops
Course Director: Robert Houlihan
Guest Director: Geoffrey Spratt
The Irish Association of Youth Orchestras’ annual Orchestral Conducting Workshops took place in MTU Cork School of Music from Monday, 3 July – Friday, 7 July 2023.
Details for the 2024 Orchestral Conducting Workshops will be announced soon.
- The course is open to conductors of youth orchestras, amateur orchestras, bands, music teachers and music students from Ireland and internationally.
- Meals and accommodation are not provided as part of the fee. Ensuite accommodation in shared, self-catering, apartments is available Cork City. Rooms can be booked through IAYO and the cost is €50 per night. Accommodation is limited and will be offered on a first-come, first-serve basis. However, we will provide a booking link for those wishing to book themselves. This link will have the agreed IAYO rate and is subject to availability of the accommodation.
- Participant places are limited to 18 and will give preference to Irish and Irish-resident youth orchestra conductors and Irish-resident music students. Remaining places will be awarded to suitable applicants based on a first-come, first-serve policy.
- It is not required for participants to prepare all the repertoire for the course. Participants may choose a selection that is in keeping with their experience and standard.
- However, participants and observers should have copies of scores of all the repertoire studied on the course. Details of editions and bound copies will be available from the IAYO office. Most editions will be chosen from those available at imslp.org and costs will be minimal. Information on scores is available on the repertoire page.
- The course fee is €300 for active participants and €150 for observers, payable on acceptance.
- The IAYO Orchestral Conducting Workshops are funded by The Arts Council and supported by MTU Cork School of Music.