IAYO Orchestral Conducting Workshops
Course Director: Robert Houlihan
04 – 08 July 2022
The Irish Association of Youth Orchestras’ annual Conducting Workshops took place in the Irish Chamber Orchestra Studio, University of Limerick from Monday, 4 July – Friday, 8 July 2022.
The course is suitable for beginner to intermediate level conductors working on a mixture of standard repertoire. Places are available for both participants and observers. Observers will take part in baton technique and score preparation along with full participants.
- The course is open to conductors of youth orchestras, amateur orchestras, bands, music teachers and music students from Ireland and internationally.
- Meals and accommodation are not provided as part of the fee. Ensuite accommodation in shared, self-catering, apartments is available at University of Limerick. Rooms can be booked through IAYO and the cost is €36 per night.
- Participant places are limited 18 and will give preference to Irish and Irish-resident youth orchestra conductors and Irish-resident music students. Remaining places will be awarded to suitable applicants based on a first-come, first-serve policy.
- It is not required for participants to prepare all the repertoire for the course. Participants may choose a selection that is in keeping with their experience and standard.
- However, participants and observers should have copies of scores of all the repertoire studied on the course. Details of editions and bound copies will be available from the IAYO office. Most editions will be chosen from those available at imslp.org and costs will be minimal. Information on scores is available on the repertoire page.
- The course fee is €300 for active participants and €150 for observers, payable on acceptance.
- Applications for the 2023 course will open online here.
- The IAYO Orchestral Conducting Workshops are funded by The Arts Council and supported by the Irish Chamber Orchestra.